Thursday, December 4, 2008

Promises

Their gazes met across a crowded room and, just like that, they tumbled into love. A prince, he made her feel like a queen.

"Why now?" she wondered. "Why not last month before my wedding?" She hadn't believed in true love, thinking it fairy tale stuff, so she'd vowed to honor and cherish a kind and gentle man, a dear friend.

"Will you come away with me?" the prince asked. "For a weekend, a year, an eternity?"

She twisted the gold band around her finger, her heart breaking.

"I love you. I always will. But I have promises to keep."

1 comment:

  1. Pat, you've managed to summarize the main reason why married people sometimes fall into the temptation of cheating ... some of course, don't, like your heroine. This short-short story made me feel sad and happy at the same time. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete